North Conway Railroad Station
Built in 1874, the North Conway Railroad Station served as the northern terminus for the Conway Branch of the Boston & Maine Railroad. The station was designed by renowned architect Nathanial J. Bradlee whose most famous work is the Danvers State Hospital Kirkbride building.
The station received special treatment in its design and craftmanship because the town of North Conway was a prestigious summer resort. The first floor contained separate waiting rooms for men and women, a ticket counter, and restrooms. Offices were housed in the two second story towers.
By the middle of the 20th century, the use of passenger rail declined sharply, and passenger service to Boston ended in 1961. The building was abandoned for several years until The Conway Scenic Railroad reopened the station in 1974 for seasonal train excursions within the Mount Washington Valley. The railroad station became a National Historic Landmark in 1979. The building now houses a gift shop and ticket booth for the scenic train rides.
38 Norcross Circle
North Conway, NH 03860